Wednesday 13 April 2016

WOW: Will the Circle Be Unbroken?

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays
Today, as you join WOW for this week, I'm in Europe for my mother's funeral.

I took no sewing with me on my long flight, which is something I went back and forth on as I packed. Would it help to occupy me on the 24 hour flight? Probably. But in the end, I left it behind. I didn't feel any desire for it. Instead, I spent those long hours thinking about the projects in my life, and their meaning. Although there is so much sadness, life goes on. The stitches I have sewn, the hours I have committed and the energy I have put into ideas takes on a new significance as I consider what it means to leave behind a legacy. My own work, which I have poured so much of myself into, will be left to my own family and, in that realization, will represent me in my own absence when that time comes. It adds a poignancy to my own WIPs that represent so many years of my life. WOW each week is all about moving forward and getting things accomplished. So it seems fitting somehow, to be thinking about the value and importance of creating during this time of grief and mourning. 

I've been so touched by your kind and supportive messages, thank you for taking the time to think of me during my sadness. Your thoughts and prayers really do make a difference and I'm so grateful to you all for taking those moments out of your day to help strengthen me during this time of loss and change. Although there is such a feeling of shock and pain, I'm comforted by the kindness of those around me and blessed by the promise that life is not temporary - death is. 

What's Your WOW?

16 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you had to travel that far to your mother's funeral - I had just assumed she was in another part of Australia when you said you had a long flight - you must be exhausted - thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such sad news from you. Thinking of you in your time of loss. I hope you can rejoice in the good time memories you have. Hugs from Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to read your sad news. I hope all your good memories bring you comfort at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther it was so lovely to read your lovely letter above and to see that you are with family and loved ones. We are all thinking of you in this sad time of loss, but I know you have so many lovely memories to help you through this difficult time and are with family and friends and loved one. Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Mother!
    Wishing you love, peace and comfort during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther, I am so sorry to read that your mom has passed away. My prayers are with you and your family as you deal with your grief and loss. May your happy memories give you comfort during this sad time in your life. May you find peace and comfort in the days ahead. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is very heavy for you, as I have, also, lost my mom (a month ago) and was absent for her final days. Sending prayers and hugs for the hours ahead...............

    ReplyDelete
  8. Esther, I'm so sorry. I completely understand about deciding against any handwork on the plane. It seemed so appropriate to spend that time in thoughts and memories, and about our legacies that we will someday leave behind. My thoughts are with you as you go through these busy days now, and sending love and strength for the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mon coeur est avec toi en ce jour de deuil. la perte d'un être cher est toujours douloureuse encore plus lorsque c'est sa maman. c'est le pilier de la famille qui s'effondre.Mais elle ne te quitte pas, le corps part mais pas l'âme et elle te guidera de là haut. Bon courage et accepte mes baisers les plus sincères. tu mérites notre soutien.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esther, My sympathies to you for this grave loss. No loss is greater than one's mother. Hang on to all the wonderful memories you have of her and the healing will come in time. Remember she is alive in your heart forever. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Esther its so nice to see that you are with loved ones at this very sad time. Your memories of your Mom will be with you forever. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss. God give you strength to face on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought of you a lot this week as I began working on my Sweet 16. Because it was anticipated that I would succumb to cancer before last Christmas I, too, have thought of my small legacy of creativity. And what I came up with was that we are so lucky to be able to leave so many beautiful things that our hands have made and that our children will be able to hold and be comforted with. That's what I see when I look at my quilts, my children wrapped up in my love. Cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart goes out to you in this loss. Take care of yourself, and hope you do whatever you need to comfort yourself through the next months. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so very sorry for the grief you are experiencing. There is no greater loss than that of a mother. Your post today was particularly timely for me as I have been struggling with the loss of quilting time due to new job obligations. It has made me ask myself why do I put so much pressure on myself to accomplish so much in quilting. My answer is that it makes me whole. I'd like to think that I will be leaving a significant part of myself behind in my quilts, but the truth is I quilt because it gives me peace. I wish you peace in your quilting when you return. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, death is temporary! But the pain of loss is there. May God give you strength in this difficult time of adjustment. Hugs, Jane.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...