Tuesday 13 October 2015

Creative Patchwork Pattern Play

I'm making the most of my quilting 'down time' by getting some computer work done on my new designs, tidying my shelves and sorting through my titles. Look what I found! I hadn't looked at this soft cover for about 10 years before today. Boy, had I been missing out!
It has some really interesting information about creating certain quilting designs. What I really love about it is the 'realness' of the advice and sketches offered. It's been a long time since I was pulled into an instructional book like this. I was just compelled and inspired at the same time, it was such a great feeling. I wonder if titles today are 'too' polished and just so 'computer generated' that they have lost this connection? I definitely feel that sometimes, even when I can't put my finger on any particular 'faults'. Reading, I felt like I was having a conversation with the writer and I really understood what she meant - the diagrams are 'just right' in my opinion.
 and I love that they are hand drawn, not computer graphic-ed
So, inspired by the advice I decided to start a new quilt top to test it out for myself
I'm surprised at how easy and quickly it all came together. I get frustrated more often than not when I create quilts nowadays because I create them on the computer with the purpose of sharing them. I'm not a natural on the computer - in fact, I usually put the pattern drawing aside until the last moment for this reason. I don't like negotiating with software or finding ways to make it understand me. And this is no complaint against the software (which is excellent), the problem is all me! I'm a natural hand drafter and that's when I feel most comfortable - getting things done by hand.
Yesterday I watched a Jinny Beyer class on Craftsy and she was explaining her pallette tool. I purchased it a few months ago and I've looked at it a few times since then, but always ended up doing whatever I wanted fabric colour wise anyway, so I wasn't really utilizing it. So I've decided that I will do it the pallette way on this new pattern I'm playing around with and see if I learn anything new or find a new way to pick fabrics. 

I'll let you know how I get on..

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Esther! The good ole' days when we used our brains and not just our fingers on a key board !
    Good Post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...