Wednesday 16 July 2014

WOW: Patchwork of the Crosses

WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays 


I've been wanting to make my own Patchwork of the Crosses since 2009. You might know from this blog that I've been sidetracked and swamped with WIPs galore but this project is so charming that I always intended to get around to it one day. I think we all know how that is? Too many ideas, not enough time?

Luckily for me, on Sunday I had the opportunity to attended a workshop and had an enjoyable day making my own crosses. I say luckily because we have had a nasty virus at home and I didn't think I would be up to going (and certainly didn't want to be sitting there feeling miserable). But on Saturday I felt better and on Sunday I tool some tablets and got through the day just fine - not my usual self, but not sick. Then, on Monday I started feeling unwell again. It seems like this virus has come back for round 2. My DH is now recovered but I am unwell again. I intend to spend today taking it easy and tinkering around with my blocks when I feel up to it.

Although I am usually working on LE every spare minute I have, the fact is that it is an intense heirloom full of finicky pieces. I'm not complaining, but it does mean that I have to pace myself as its hard work on my hands and eyesight. Patchwork of the Crosses is an ideal in between project. Actually I've noticed that a few LE makers are also making other projects and I understand completely - it finds its own time. Another issue with LE is how addictive it is. I can work on it 9 hours straight and this puts strain on me- which I know I need to avoid. But what can I say? Its so addictive..

It's so popular and fun, I think almost everyone has made Patchwork of the Crosses by now - have you?


 What's Your WOW ? 


10 comments:

  1. Yes I finished hand quilting my POTC early this year after hand piecing it for a year - it too was addictive and l loved making it - have fun with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Esther,
    Is the Patchwork of the Crosses like English Paper Piecing?

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you are fussy cutting the crosses

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the POTC book and I'm trying very hard to hold off!
    Have fun with yours.

    LE certainly is addictive, but also totally worth it.
    Hugs,
    Anne Marieke

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really interesting.
    Janeen@quiltArtDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reminds me of making the hexagons. I doubt I will do more than hexagons in this area, but I sure have more than enough of them to keep me busy for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely block with adorable fabrics! Thanks for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope you get well soon. I haven't tried the POTC yet, but I will soon. I'm hand quilting my hexagon, then I will do the Crosses. I love your fabric and how you fussy cut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're on my wish list! Hope you are all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really a fun project, I made one too. Would you like to see the last post about my POTC? It is here: http://coloursandfabrics.blogspot.nl/2013/03/patchwork-of-crosses-finished.html
    I was very fortunate to go see the real one made by Lucy Boston in her old house and helped to show all the coverlets she made (with a white glove of course;) A great experience! I didn't want to upload this as a WIP because it was ready quite a while ago.
    I'm still following the progress of some LE's (I only made the middle part). I'm impressed by all the beautiful borders, so much work, but lovely.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...