Tuesday 17 September 2013

A Tale Of Two Roses

Have you ever designed a quilt that just took on a life of it's own? I have.
I designed Rose Cherry & Lily to be such a sweet and simple quilt, but look at it now:

Rose, Cherry & Lily
the quilt that took on its own personality
Rose, Cherry & Lily will be released as a complete pattern in my online shop (when I get around to it later this month). Due to the method of construction, it's not suitable for a BOM format at all and is going straight to pattern. It's an advanced applique quilt.
 
When I launched Love Entwined 1790 Marriage Coverlet (an advanced applique quilt), I decided that I should launch a beginners applique quilt at the same time. I have a lot of quilt patterns which I'm working on freeing from my journals and pattern books, so it felt like the perfect time to release two quilts at the same time and create something which all members in my Yahoo Group could work on.
I think it was a great idea. What I didn't know however, was what a big deal Love Entwined would be, how quickly my Yahoo Group would grow and how it was suddenly impossible to launch two quilts at the same time!
 
Love Entwined demanded all my attention. I didn't want anything to distract me from my new interest; the 1790 marriage coverlet and decided to put off releasing the second quilt. Then changes started happening, I couldn't stop tinkering with the design. This second beginners quilt was called 'Rose, Cherry & Lily' and it took on a romantic flair all its own and whilst I love it, it's simply not a beginners applique quilt anymore, so I definitely couldn't release it as the 'beginners' alternative.
 
Looking at it now, it seems hard to believe that it started out as such a simple quilt and then grew into another heirloom...but there you are, that's the influence of the marriage coverlet!
 
 
Luckily, the same week I realised that Rose, Cherry & Lily would not be released, I visited the V&A exhibition in Brisbane. The 1790 era quilts inspired me to go and make another applique quilt for beginners. I already had the centre vase pattern in my folio, what I needed was inspiration for the borders. And I found inspiration aplenty at the V&A! I loved, simply loved the patchwork borders which appeared again and again throughout various quilts of the period. What a brilliant idea. I didn't think I'd ever create an antique looking patchwork quilt, but I have! And I'm delighted with it.
 
Lily Rose
Applique & Pieced Wall Hanging
 
It's a simple and intermediate applique (a  perfect beginners applique quilt) with plenty of simple piecing and an oh so satisfying wall hanging size. It's a three month project and it is offered for free to members of my Yahoo BOM Group.
 
I will be releasing it this month as a BOM in 3 parts and it will be done by December which feels like such a nice project to fit in before the end of the year. I'm so pleased to be sharing it with you. Of course, I'm torn over which colour scheme to go with (sounds familiar?) so I've put up my two favourites here. Everyone seems to love the red one above whilst I am keen on the turquoise one below. Well, I love them both anyhow!
 
Let me know what you think...

 


40 comments:

  1. Wow, I think both are beautiful! I think the turquioise draws my eye away from the applique centrepiece. I wonder if recolouring the scallop border around the flower vase would draw the eye back into the centre? Turquoise is my favourite colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I can't decide, love both color ways! It is Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I can't decide, love both color ways! It is Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Esther you are simply amazing! What a talented designer and so very exquisite in your words as well as quilt designs! I love them both but I am smitten with Rosé, Cherry and Lily. Have you completed it? Wow! Thanks so much for continuing to inspire and I cannot wait for the patterns to be released! In awe... Karen on Keuka

    ReplyDelete
  5. The big red and pink flower in the first one draws your eye in also - as opposed to the yellow one in the turquoise version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love Rose, Cherry and Lily- I feel that this will be more manageable for me than Love Entwined so can't wait to start. thanks so much for producing such inspiring patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both beautiful! Would love to make all three, but will keep to LE. I like the turquoise version of Lily Rose and will save the pattern for later. You are a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both color ways but I lean a little more the turquoise one too. Rose Cherry,Lily is exquisite, can't wait to see the pattern. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it! and it it definitely more suited to my talents and time! Thank you soooooo much!

    hm in tn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both quilt designs are gorgeous. Lily Rose pops and would be a great way to utilize scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where do you get your energy from? Both designs are beautiful. But another 300 very little cherries for the Rose Cherry and Lily? At the time they are available, I will download them for sure. You'll never know, they are so gorgeous. Thank you so very much for all these presents! Auckje

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Esther. Both quilts are amazing. I have been saving all of the downloads from LE, but have been afraid to start it because I am a rank beginner. I can't wait to try my hand at the new BOM. I love the turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm totally drawn to the turquoise color way. I really like the pieced and applique together.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I will have to make room on my blog for this one for sure. I like the pink one better but really couldn't say why except my mother (who is 94 this year) wouldn't like it in the yellow. She loves pink and rose too much so I could show her progress as I went along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a gorgeous quilt, I think I might have to do it as well as keep working on my beloved LE. I love the pop of turquoise in your second color choice. Your designs are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, You are such an great designer, I love this design a lot. May be I even try it next to the LE...? Love both color settings

    ReplyDelete
  18. The turquoise one really speaks to me. I'll want to download this one as well as continuing on LE. Joan in SC

    ReplyDelete
  19. das ist ja wieder ein meisterwerk von dir und da bin ich voll dabei bei diesen tollen kleinen teilen. freue mich schon auf den beginn
    mg elfriede

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love it in both its forms. Great composition and color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, just beautiful. They both look lovely. It is so hard to decide. If I have to pick one it would have to be the aqua.
    You are so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so excited!! Thank you! The Marriage Coverlet is beautiful but so scary to me, someone that is definitely a beginner at applique. I cannot wait to work this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both colorways are gorgeous but I think I prefer the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful! Being a beginner, I will go with Lily Rose. I really love the pink-red one but will probably use different colors.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Esther, the designs are absolutely astonishing! I've put off starting my LE due to a recent unresolved issue with my thumb joint, so I guess it was telling me to wait and make these 2! I love both colorways of the wallhanging, but will probably so some sort of combination of the two.
    Thank you so much for all of your time and talents! Kathy O in GA, USA

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a beautiful new BOM. I think I see little pieces from LE in some of the motifs which think is really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lily Rose (love the name) is stunning! It's right on trend at the moment with all the antique quilts around and I am amazed that you are giving it away for FREE! Thank you so much for your generosity and thanks for making it a wall quilt which makes it so much more possible IMO!

    Rose Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  28. The first of the Two appeals to me. I like the subtle way of the Lily Rose center on it better. Thanks for a mix of Applique and piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is a lovely design but the second one is more sparkling.

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is a fabulous design and will be a great practice piece for the Love Entwined !

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my GOODNESS!
    Rose, Cherry & Lily is exquisite!
    (It may even tempt me to make a Pink Quilt.)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now, this one I believe I can do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am in aww with your talent I just love both of these patterns. I am sold for sure. You sure know how to get a gal excited to do more appliqué.
    Hugs Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  34. my goodness! both so pretty - I might have to order the first one from you - beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a gorgeous quilt! And the first colorway is exactly my style! I look forward to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Esther I can not wait to see your Rose Cheery and Lily quilt completed in fabric by you. It is simply stunning, love love the centre. Glad I'm so tied up with LE as I would be starting yet another quilt design of yours LOL> Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well, I could never cope with the amount of berries to stitch by machine in your advanced version.
    It is just so beautiful Though.
    I'm drawn to the Aqua in your simpler version, maybe because I am using so much in LE.
    However Le has drawn me from making just the center to keeping on stitching so will be saving for a later date.
    Cheer's jenny

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, my! "Rose, Cherry, and Lily" is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the turqoise version! When can we start this beauty?

    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rose Cherry and Lily..... I can't wat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...