Tuesday 21 August 2012

FMN: Block 7: Details

Magnolia: I was really undecided about which background to set the Magnolia block on. I'm making 2x of the same quilt: one light and one dark background, so each month I have to select the right block for the right quilt.

The Crown of Thorns was an obvious choice because the colour really stood out against a dark background, but I had to consider the flowers that came before, and to achieve balance of the quilt overall. It's an unusual choice for such a flower, but it works on my quilt.

I edge turned all the pieces and then went back in with coloured pencils to create depth and shading in the petals. As with all my blocks, I will be embellishing the block further when I reach the quilting stage.




Crown of Thorns: Again, all the pieces have been edge turned and I've used coloured pencils again for shading.  Only the thorns are raw edge as I will be stitching over them for effect.




These are blocks from Part 7
of my free 2012 Mystery BOM Forget Me Not

You can download this month's block via my website or my Yahoo Bom Group 

4 comments:

  1. Esther these are just so lovely. Now that is see your centers for the crown of thornes I just might have to change mine. I wish I was as good as you with turning for appliqué. I must try to get better at it. You are such an inspiration. Thank you.
    Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the magnolia, it's just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks! I have the magnolia traced but haven't picked my material yet! really hav ing fun doing this quilt with you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that your work is simply amazing....I am just in awe of it all!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...